Follow CREW On:

Collaborative Links

Please direct feedback on the website to Webmaster.

Need to contact us directly? We'll respond to email originating from within Waterloo region, Ontario, Canada if you send an identifying note to CREW General Inquiry.

Home > Forum Listings > Earth Energy
compressor heat recovery
  Previous topic | Next topic
Posted: Thursday, May 8, 2008 at 09:11 AM
[report this post as inappropriate]
One can use the heat from the compressor of a heat pump (be it air or ground or water based) to heat water for the home. Compressors are best run for longer periods of time. Look at your fridge or freezer and you'll realize that they're on about 1/2 of the time. Now - a fridge or freezer draws about 100W when on. Our electric water heater takes 20W average in order to keep the 19 gallon tank hot. Based upon that it should be trivial to use waste heat from a compressor to provide hot water for the home. The snags are in extracting that heat - the long lines from the water heater to where the compressor is and / or a heat exchanger to take water from the hot water tank and to circulate it past the compressor. This makes the hairs on my neck rise and I start visioning complex systems that are failure prone. In fact it's quite easy to simply do without hot water. It's not really needed for washing clothes. One can sponge bath or use a black plastic bag thats been solar heated or boil a kettle of water for washing dishes! Caveat - I'm vegan and my family is low-fat vegetarian; so we no longer have lots of oily dishes or greasy meats to clean up. But that is my believe and my lifestyle - powering down is required for the future - both for the equitable distribution of what little energy we have. Our current lifestyle is vastly unsustainable and our energy (there is only solar energy) is being stolen by the first world. Who are we to deny everyone else? The only way forward is to use leapfrog technologies - get the developing world away from the polluting and environmental path we took - and to give them hope and share what little energy there is left with them. We must thinking about profits and competition and think about survival. Our population is well past overshoot and must come down. But that's another kettle of fish.